Dear Potential Bingham Parents and Students,
Our admissions processes have changed significantly for the 2019/2020 academic school year. Please carefully note the process as listed below. For any further assistance, please contact the BA Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 0112 791 791.
Step 1: Attend an Admissions Event
· All families desiring to be considered for acceptance to Bingham Academy must attend one of three Admissions Events.* This includes existing Bingham Academy families who desire to place another child into the school. These events will be a time to hear the mission of the school, take a campus tour, and partake in a Q&A session with key staff members. Please visit our website to schedule your place at one of these events. You may also call the Registrar’s office at 0112 791 791.
*Organizations that are considered Owner, Sustainer, or Sister Missions may be exempt from this requirement
2019 Admissions Events
· Saturday, January 12- 9:00 am – 11:00 am
· Friday, January 18- 9:00 am – 11:00 am
· Tuesday, January 22- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Admissions Event Registration
Step 2: Submit an Application
· Upon attendance at an Admissions Event, each families will be emailed a link to the Student Application Form. The application and all other required documentation must be turned in by February 28 by 5:00 pm.
Step 3: Application Review Process
· Part 1: Initial Screening
o By March 15, Bingham Academy will screen all applications and then communicate to each family regarding whether or not we will proceed in the admissions process.
· Part 2: Placement Screening
o At this point, applicants will be asked to complete a placement test to determine best grade level fit. Please be aware that an invitation to a placement screening does not guarantee placement.
Step 4: Final Decisions
· By April 12, final decisions for admissions will be completed and communicated. If accepted, both families and students will sign a commitment contract with Bingham Academy, outlining major expectations for being a part of the Bingham Academy community.
Admissions Frequently Asked Questions
1 What are the criteria for admission?
Applicants must have a foreign passport and their age should be appropriate for the grade for which they are applying. If the applicant has Ethiopian citizenship, then he/she is required to acquire a letter from the Ministry of Education confirming that the applicant may attend our school. For KG1, applicants should be 4 years old by August 31st.
2 What are the priorities for enrolment?
a. Owner/Sustaining Missions
b. Sister Missions
c. Siblings of current BA students
d. All other applicants
3 What is Sister Mission status? How do I apply for Sister Mission status?
Sister Missions have the opportunity to partner with BA in the provision of staff on a self-support basis. For each qualifying staff member provided (defined by BA Board policy), a tuition rebate will be paid to the mission group providing the staff member.
Applications for Sister Mission status are available from the BA office. Applications must be submitted by mid-December to the Head of School to be decided upon by the following February/March.
4 What are the grades at BA?
Bingham Academy has Grades KG1 – Grade 12. There is only one class per grade.
5 What are class sizes like?
The ideal class size for KG1 & KG2 is 16. For Grade 1 – Grade 12 the ideal size is 25.
6 How do I apply for admission?
Our enrolment period begins on the 1st of January and lasts until the 28th of February. Applicants who fulfill the requirements (see question 1) can apply by filling out an application. As outlined in the admissions process, each potential family must attend one of three Admission Events in order to receive a copy. General inquiries can be made to the Admissions Officer at: email@example.com. Required documents to accompany the application are :
· a recent copy of school reports
· a copy of the applicant’s passport
· a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate
· a passport sized photo of the applicant and
· a non-refundable application fee of ETB500.00
- If applicable, a completed Recommendation Form from your religious leader
7 What if I cannot make it to an Admissions Event? Can I still apply?
The Admissions Events are incredibly important parts of our admissions process. We strongly encourage any family interested in applying to make your best effort to attend one of these events. If you are entirely incapable of attending an Admissions Event, please contact our Admissions Officer who can work to create alternative options.
*In light of the stringent and thorough training programs of BA’s recognized Owner/Sustainer and Sister Missions, all applicants affiliated with such organizations that are not currently living in Ethiopia will be asked to read a summary document about the mission of the school in lieu of an Admissions Event.
8 Is there an assessment for applicants?
Applicants will take an assessment after their application has been reviewed. The assessment is usually administered in March. Applicants will take the test only if there is space in the grade for which they have applied. Please note that taking the assessment or passing it does not guarantee that applicants will be accepted.
Do applicants for Grade 11 take the assessment test?
Students applying for Grade 11, even if taking the IGCSE examinations at another school, must still sit the BA placement exam in March. They must also submit their IGCSE exam results once available. A grade of ‘C’ or above is expected in each course before acceptance will be considered.
9 . Is there a way in which I can get in contact with the Head of School or Principals?
The Director and/or the Elementary Principal and/or the Secondary Principal will be available at set times during the admissions period to discuss the school and the possibility of enrolment. Bookings for these sessions are required. Make your booking by emailing the Admissions Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. What are the tuition fees* for 2018/19?
Tuition fees for 2019/20 are yet to be finalized. Current fees, updated in 2018/19 can be viewed below. These will be updated in February 2019 to reflect next years' fees
New Family Fee*
Annual Capital Development*
Tier 1 - Standard Fees*
USD 880.00 per child
Tier 2 - Owner/Sustaining*
USD 880.00 Child 1
USD 220.00 each remaining child
IGCSE Exam Fee* (Gr. 9 & 10): USD 242.00 (to be confirmed)
AS/A Level Exam Fee* (Gr. 11 & 12): USD 242.00 (to be confirmed)
* Please note these fees are reviewed annually.
11. When does the 2019/2020 school year begin?
The 2019-2020 school year at Bingham Academy will begin on the 22rd of August 2019.
12. Which curriculum do you follow?
We use the Cambridge International Examinations Curriculum from Grades 1 to 12. For further information visit the CIE website at www.cie.org.uk
13. Do you keep a waiting list for future admissions?
We have a limited capacity to take new students each year. If a space for the coming academic year opens up after the admissions period but before the start of the new school year, we will contact previously unsuccessful applicants to see if they would still like to be considered for a place. However, we do not keep a long term waiting list and we do not hold applications from one admissions period to the next. If your application is unsuccessful and you wish to apply for admission for the following school year, you will need to submit a new application during the next admissions period.
14. Does Bingham Academy have a Child Safety Policy?
Bingham Academy is wholly committed to the provision of a safe environment for our students and the school community. All potential staff will undergo a screening process which includes police/background checks and contact with employment and pastoral referees. Our staff complete child safety training annually and commit to a code of conduct to ensure child safety. Similarly, volunteers complete a police/ background check, child safety training and agree to abide by our code of conduct. Bingham Academy has a robust process for the investigation of any reports of concerns in relation to child safety. Bingham Academy is a member of the Child Safety Protection Network.